Brighton High Attendance Policy for 2012/2013
Quick Reference Guide for Students
It is the student’s responsibility to track their attendance on Skyward
Parents/Guardians must contact the attendance office by phone or in person within 5 days of their student’s absence or NG will occur
Attendance Office Phone: 801 826-5807
1. To maintain credit in a class, attendance score may not exceed 6 points. Skyward will show NG for classes with more than 6 attendance points.
- A (unexcused absences)= 7 pts
- G(guardian called within 5 days)= 1 pt
- E(documentation for funeral, court, Dr. appointment submitted within 5 days,)= 1 pt
- T (student was late within 10 minutes of the tardy bell)= 1pt
2. Fix attendance score by attending ARC
- Pay $3.00 in the front office
- Attend ARC as soon as possible
- ARC is 1 hour long and meets on select days before school (6:00am) or after school (3:00pm). Check the schedule in the main office!
- Bring homework. Don’t bring food or electronics!
- Identify which class and absence the ARC is to be applied to
3. Make an Appeal--An Attendance Appeals Committee will review extenuating circumstances, appeals will now cost $5.00 which will be charged to the student’s account and must be paid before the end of the year. In limited cases the fee may be waived. Some reasons to appeal:
- Parent/Guardian forgets to call in an absence within 5 days
- Parent/Guardian forgets to send in documentation within 5 days
- Extended illness
- Documented absences are included in attendance score which exceeds 6 points.
- Unusual family crisis or an extraordinary personal problem may be explained to a Vice-Principal or Counselor who will request a waiver from the Appeals Committee
How to petition
- Obtain a form from the Attendance office.
- Fill out the form completely, attach any needed documentation.
- Student will be notified of the committee’s decision in about 7 days
4. Recovering credit (NG recovery)--If an NG is unresolved at the end of the trimester, ARC attendance prior to mid-term of the following trimester may be used to recover the grade. After that point, the NG cannot be removed and may affect a student’s ability to graduate. NG recovery will not give credit for an F grade.
- Because it is for a previous trimester, the cost is $5.00 per ARC.
- Follow the procedures for attending ARC but when purchasing the ARC ticket, inform the front office that it is for “NG recovery”.
- Identify which class from the previous trimester to apply the “NG recovery”